As a Massage Professional, I carefully research all recommendations, especially those put forth by the leaders in my field, for keeping our space as safe as possible. As new, pertinent information becomes available, this page will be updated. Please check back often.
THINGS TO CONSIDER
Despite all the safety measures to be taken, we will never be able to keep massage 100% risk free, in this vein, please be sure to fully educate yourself about COVID before you decide massage is right for you. Though most people recover or have no symptoms at all, it is important to understand that, worse case scenario, contracting this disease could result in blood clots, organ damage, and possibly death.
In this vein, I won’t be seeing anyone who is immunocompromised and strongly recommend anyone who is 65 or older and/or with underlying conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, chronic lung disease, moderate to severe asthma, heart conditions, chronic kidney disease, liver disease, or obesity to check with his/her doctor before receiving massage.
SYMPTOM REVIEWS/ PER APPOINTMENT
COVID-19 is likely to become endemic, such that we will have to learn to live with it. Unless it would be prudent otherwise, I am not going to continue to ask clients about symptoms or take temperatures (which hasn’t proved helpful regardless). Instead, I ask that you please use your best judgement with reference to CDC recommendations, around all COVID-related issues, and reschedule appointments where necessary to reduce transmission/exposure to myself and my business.** I will do the same & notify clients booked within the last 2 days of possible exposure should I be exposed and/or test positive. My 24 hour cancellation policy is waived if you have to cancel for COVID-related reasons as long as you notify me upon first symptoms/exposure and/or positive test.
**Recently (January 2022), the CDC shortened its quarantine/isolation recommendations. As they are recommendations, I have amended them to suit my business as follows:
- If you/someone you live with tests positive: Regardless of vaccination status, please allow 10 days to pass and for symptoms to resolve before rescheduling your appointment. If you live with someone who is positive, this time frame extends to 15 days, with the hope you can test on day 15 (also with no symptoms) from your household contact’s exposure/positive test; that is, test 5 days after the 10 days your household contact remained possibly contagious.
- If you/someone you live with is exposed: Regardless of vaccination status, please reschedule your appointment for after you’ve been able to test negative, with no symptoms, on day 5 after exposure. If someone you live with has been exposed, please reschedule for after he/she has been able to test negative, with no symptoms, on day 5 after exposure.
- If you/someone you live with has symptoms of any kind: Regardless of vaccination status, please reschedule your appointment for after you’ve both been able to test negative 2x.
An informed consent form to read & sign before your first appointment is now included in my online intake forms with the general consent and waiver form for massage therapy.
If you have been diagnosed with and recovered from COVID-19, please fill out the following form to make sure massage is safe for you: ADDITIONAL HHX FOR COVID19 DX
SAFETY PROTOCOLS & PRACTICES PUT IN PLACE
I am scheduling 45 min between clients for cleaning/disinfecting purposes, which will include sanitizing all frequently touched surfaces. Please wait in your car if you are any more than 5 min early.
Masking is optional. I understand that different decisions may be made based on personal risk assessment and research.
During extensive neck work (beyond 15 mins), while a client lays face-up, if requested, I can use an easily installed plexiglass shield at the head of the table. It offers some barrier between our faces.
I will have hand sanitizer available to use as you see fit.
Of course, as always, the table/face cradle linens you lay on will be completely turned over & extra attention to detail will be paid to sanitizing the table itself as well as the linens.
When weather permits, I will have a window open and a HEPA purifier running at all times for improved ventilation and air quality. During winter months or very hot summer days, when I have to close the window, I will add a second HEPA air purifier and a humidifier to maintain good air quality.
- I’ve purchased a hydrometer to monitor humidity: it is ideal to keep humidity between 40-60% to make the air less hospitable to virus’- with the heat running, this can be a challenge and I’ve gotten it to 40-50% at best and high 30’s otherwise
- I also have used an indoor air quality monitor to measure the build up of CO2 from our exhalations. It is ideal to keep this number below 800- when I measured last (as of Jan 2022), it remained below 700 the entire time- THIS IS GREAT NEWS!!
I will be wearing and changing full-coverage aprons between each client & practicing my usual hand/forearm hygiene of course.